Thursday, December 3, 2009

What Am I Doing Wrong Here?

I stuck Linley in the bath the other day and it was time to get out to eat dinner. She refused to get out so I gave her the 2 minute warning. When the time was up I started to drain the water and this happened:
A screaming mess. She laid in the bathtub until all the water was gone, refusing to leave. I finally went to get a towel to cover her and let her finish her tantrum. After a few minutes I decided it was time to document it. Darrell walked in as I was grabbing the camera, he heard the screaming and asked what I was doing. "Just taking a picture of our daughter, wet and naked, screaming in the bathtub."

I mean isn't that what everyone does after bathtime?

She finally stopped screaming long enough to see the picture I took of her.

Really? Anyone else have a spirited young daughter with advice? If I can teach her to channel that passion towards something productive we will be golden.

Love her even with that messy, swollen, red face:)

6 comments:

Lara said...

she and avery are the SAME. i have drained the water many a time only to still struggle with getting her out.

Jenn @ My Kind of Strange said...

I get the same thing with Peter, only I get two screaming messes...the first is the battle to get him IN the tub then he won't get out!!! That's when the second battle occurs...these kids really do know how to push buttons! I have no advice, sorry - just sympathy. :|

Anonymous said...

All you guys know how to do that.... it's called BRIBERY! and works every time... always leave a little time for what you child loves the most... for the post tub bribe. when you are getting your child ready for the bath, or trying to, you pull out the BRIBE card. Maybe it's a favorite game, or a round of coloring.. whatever it is, let you child know that you want to play after the bath so hurry and let's get through... that's my only advice... it worked great on both Jennifer and Andrea.

Jen's Mom

Anonymous said...

Do not children inherit somethings from the Parents ?
G Granpaw MM

Anonymous said...

Visiting from Jenn's blog... Have you tried the warning approach? # minutes and you have to get out, then 2 minutes, 1 minutes. Worked for us.

Laura

Claire said...

Dianne--no, I cannot relate...yet :). Have you read Love and Logic for Early Childhood? It is all about giving choices, letting the kiddos have some control. Do you want bubbles or no bubbles? Do you want 3 more minutes or 5 more minutes? Do you want lotion or no lotion? Etc. I used the bubbles one on Hannah the other night when she refused to get in the bathtub...worked like a charm. I've also field-tested this with 5th graders and it works well.