Thursday, January 28, 2010

Parenting Milestone

I had a parenting milestone yesterday and I can't say that it was one I was wanting or expecting. Yesterday the kids and I loaded up to go buy shaving cream and something for dinner. After we checked out, got in the car and headed back home I heard Linley ask Jackson, "what is that?"

Jackson replied: "a new bouncy ball"

I asked Jackson where he got that bouncy ball and he told me he found it in the store.

I pulled the car over and we discussed. I found out that it was not with other bouncy balls and Jackson really thought some kid had just lost it and it was not for sale.

I asked Jackson what he thought we should do and he said, "Take it back" in the smallest, quietest, most scared voice I have ever heard.

As tears welled up in his eyes, he beggggggeeeddd me to give it back, but I wouldn't.

We found the manager who had checked us out and he put the ball on the counter.

It turns out that they do sell the balls, but this one had been picked up by a kid earlier and stuck on the candy shelf.

Jackson was terrified, sad, and mostly embarrassed.

I am pretty sure that was punishment enough.

Oh, and I am very proud of him too!

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Try again! :)

Anonymous said...

Dianne, Don't sweat it. I did the VERY same thing when I was younger. Mom made me return it and the worst part is there was a cop in the store monitoring the place. I still remember it to this day and needless to say I'm very careful about what I 'just pick up'. Have a good day, and give Jackson a hug for me!
Laura

Claire said...

Poor little guy! Good job, handling it , mom! You are right, sometimes the natural/logical consequence is all they need.

Jenn @ My Kind of Strange said...

UGh... and what a milestone...but I think both of you handled it famously! Wow...I hope I have the strength to do that... it would be so easy to just lecture and drive home but it sure hits home so much more to go back... what strength I think that took for you! You and Jackson both deserve great big hugs! You're a great mommy!!! :)